Saturday, January 3, 2015

Two new habits for 2015

Today I did two things that I had never done before. They happened by chance, but I am so glad about it, that I just decided to implement them as new habits.

Firstly, I sorted out old socks with holes in them. In the past I used to keep them, hoping somebody would patch them someday. They have also been a backup when I was too lazy to do the laundry in time. A mixture of frugality and indifference held me back from disposing them, although the holes got bigger and bigger over time.

On a whim I disposed them this morning. Thinking about it later, I realized that time was more than ripe. These old socks had been bugging me for much too long, and I refused to acknowledge it because they were a symbol for my protest against finickiness. With this in mind, from now on I will either sort out or repair broken socks right away.

Secondly, I put a lot of chocolate into the trash. People seem to enjoy bombarding each other with sweets on Christmas, and it was once more impossible for me to stop them - even though they know what I think of sugar. In general I am against throwing away food, but eating something that harms me is no help to anyone. I am glad having become aware of this, so that I can react upon these kind of presents with integrity.

"Learn to say 'no' to the good so you can say 'yes' to the best." - John C. Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment